SLED DOG QUIZ
Email your quiz QUESTIONS here
We'll need the answers, of course, along with
documentation of the source.
Answer a Question...Win a Free Ad!
The first three persons correctly answering the question will win a FREE one month, 50 word classified ad. Answers will be posted after the ads are won--or when it becomes apparent no one is going to get the answer!
Email us your answers with "Quiz"
in the subject line.
Use of free ads are limited to one per calendar quarter per household. You may continue accumulate ads, but publication will be limited to one per quarter.
Sled Dog History Quiz Questions 81 through 125
Some of these questions remain unanswered.
(some of the questions remain unanswered)
How many teams dropped out of the Inaugural running of the Yukon Quest?
(Submitted by Carlleen Brehmer)
108. What was the reason Robert Sorlie was not present during the prize ceremony of Finnmarksløpet 2011? (Submitted by Barry Siragusa)
Born in 1960, these half-Labrador retriever and half-Irish setter
litter-mates served in the U.S. Army. In 1966, running double lead they
never lost a preliminary, and won the World Championship race in Anchorage.
Who were they?
by Neil Rasmussen)
Who once said “My dogs have taught me to not interrupt them when they’re
by Neil Rasmussen)
105. This Iditarod finisher first moved to Anchorage just before the very first Iditarod. How old was this musher that appeared at the Anchorage YMCA in bunny boots? This musher lived for two years in a rented basement on 7th Avenue with 16 dogs in the yard and never had one complaint. (submitted by Neil Rasmussen)
Who holds the record for most wins in the Finnmarksløpet, longest race in
Europe? How Many? (Submitted by Barry Siragusa)
Who was the first Norwegian to run the Iditarod, and in which year did they
do it? (Submitted by Barry Siragusa)
Which Alaskan musher in the 1920-30s was known for his use of wolfdogs as
In 1974, Mary Shields became the first woman to complete the Iditarod. What
else did she do that year that was exceptional? (Submitted by
Who has won the Nome Kennel Club Fastest Time from Safety to Nome Award more
times than anyone else? (Submitted by Pam)
In 1933, this person mushed his team from Alaska to the Lower 48. Who was
he, what was his destination, and why did he make the trip? (Submitted by
98. What was the name of the Mail Run held in the 1980's-1990's in northeastern U.S., and where did it run? (submitted by anonymous)
Who called his one and only Iditarod attempt "The big Camping trip? "
(submitted by Peter Lietzau)
96. What state legislature is going to vote on making the Chinook breed
as their "state dog", and what past resident of that state developed the Chinook
breed? [submitted by anonymous]
95. During preparation for the 73 Iditarod Dan Seavey
(Seward High School History Teacher) asked this question on a history test. It was hard to
pass his class without the correct answer. What was the name of Dans Lead dog during
the 73 Iditarod race? [submitted by Dori Hollingsworth]
94. Which musher had to be evacuated from the 2006 Knik 200 for emergency
surgery then ran the Iditarod 2 months later? [submitted by Michael Suprenant]
93. Getting cabin fever who spent 132 days in the winter of 1931-32 mushing a small dog
team alone literally across the top of Alaska on the Arctic Ocean, from Martin Point on
the Beaufort Sea, west and south to Nome, 1,500 miles as the raven flies? [submitted
by Neil Rasmussen]
92. When was the resolution passed to establish the "Iditarod Trail Seppala Memorial Race" as Alaska's official state race? [submitted by Shawn Linendoll]
91. What year was the first formal sled dog race held and what was the
name of the race? [submitted by Shawn Linendoll]
90. What is the highest weight pulled in an Alaskan Canine Weight Pull
in the 120 & over class? [submitted by Cathy Dimon]
89. What dog driver went to Antarctica with Adm. Byrd (and helped save
his life) and also did rescue missions in Greenland during WW II? [submitted by
88. In 1980 Joe May won the Iditarod. What were the names of his
leaders? [submitted by S. Bergemann]
87. What was the name of the dog that out-pulled the legendary
"Chinook" for a bet of 2 cigars? [submitted by Brian Files]
86. Who was once mistaken by Karen Ramstead for a traveling disco? [submitted
by Carli Ward]
85. Who was the first woman to win the Laconia Sled Dog Derby in its
50th Anniversary Year? [submitted by Anonymous]
84. Which Iditarod musher dropped their hat in the honey hole of the out
house and went in to fish it out, in Nulato during the 2003 Iditarod race? [submitted
by Michael Suprenant]
83. Who was the only person in the Iditarod to start first and finish
last winning the red lantern? [submitted by Shawn Linendoll, Fort Ann, NY]
82. In January 1980, the North Shore Sled Dog Association put on its
sixth Gunflint Mailrun Race. They were approached by the media, WDSM radio, at the awards
presentation about putting on another race in five weeks. With 26 sponsors listed,
eighteen teams were in a mass start, March 15, 1980, from downtown Grand Marais, MN USA
headed towards Duluth, MN. What was this race called? [submitted by
Neil Rasmussen, Grand Marais, MN]
81. Amidst a hundred Secret Service agents Norman Vaughan and his dog team, gave a sled
dog ride in 1981. Who was the passenger that blessed the dog team, including Satan and
Devil, immediately following the ride? [submitted by Neil Rasmussen,
Grand Marais, MN]
Congratulations to all the winners!
Copyright © 1997-2016 Sled Dog Central, all rights reserved.
Email Sled Dog Central