Breeding/Whelping
 Vaccinating a pregnant bitch...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

huskyhike

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  1:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit huskyhike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know of the vaccination protocol in regards to a pregnant bitch? She is approximately 45 days along. We have vaccinated her yearly and her last inoculations were almost a year ago today. I know there is some controversy on the whole vaccination subject but would like some opinions anyway.

Dana
Happiness is a Siberian Husky in your Cabin!
www.snowpacksiberians.com

chaparra72

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  6:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we all know that vaccinating during pregnancy is not recommended. In my opinion 3 weeks is not going to make a difference in her succeptibility to disease, it is not like you get to the yearly date and the vaccine suddenly expires in the dogs' system. I would just wait until she whelps.

Sharon Moreno
Wyoming, USA
Go to Top of Page

huskyhike

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  7:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit huskyhike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't like to assume I do (or do not) know a lot of stuff! As a matter of fact, I like to garner as much info & opinions as possible. Thank you for your input Chapparra72!

I did not mean to imply that I thought her immunity would change instantly on day 365....I suppose I should have worded my query differently.

I have been keeping abreast of many of the "changes of view" in regards to the vaccination protocol, it being to either inoculate every year or every three years, etc. My very own veterinarian has not made up his mind yet. That said, should I vaccinate known brood bitches every year as was recommended before? Should we go with the Antibody Titer Profile to determine immunity levels instead?
Opinions?

Dana
Go to Top of Page

swanny

USA
864 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  12:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit swanny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Although it is more expensive, I like running titers on older dogs as opposed to automatic revaccination. I think I would do the same with a brood bitch, but I'd do it prior to breeding. If her titers are good she should be able to provide adequate protection to her puppies until it is time for them to receive their core vaccinations in accordance with the AAHA / AVMA / CVMA guidelines. If her titers are low she could be revaccinated a month or six weeks before going into her next heat cycle to "recharge the batteries" as it were.

The three year schedule for core vaccines (rabies, distemper, parvovirus and adenovirus) may actually be more frequent than necessary, but I think it is safer than the old annual approach and the science behind the new guidelines shows it is equally as protective. There is currently a 7 year challenge in progress for the rabies vax which will likely shed more scientific light on the subject and could possibly result in an even longer duration between recommended revaccinations.

Of the noncore vaccines, in my region the noncore diseases are not a huge issue except for bordetella. Since my dogs spend a lot of time with other dogs and run on public trails I elect to administer annual bordetella vaccines each autumn just as I elect to get an annual flu vaccination for myself.

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. William Francis Butler

http://www.tworiversak.com/mushing.htm
Go to Top of Page

dbseavey

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  4:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit dbseavey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agree with Swanny. After about 12 months of age, we very seldom give non-mandatory vaccines, except bordetella, which we give before the Kusko and Iditarod. In 45 years of dogs, we've never had a case of parvo. I have an eight-year-old female with her fifth litter of puppies now, and she hasn't had a shot since she was two. If your dog is exposed to other dogs, trails, etc, it is constantly coming in contact with parvo, and once the original immunity is developed, it is easy to maintain.

Go to Top of Page

chaparra72

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  8:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some folks who have been in sleddogs and racing for many years. The wife also works in the medical field. Her opinion is that while it may be true that these vaccinations may not be required as often as recommended, it is a lot easier and safer just to go ahead with the yearly boosters. Her logic being that dogs really don't live long enough for this to be an issue, and it is better to be safe than sorry.
Dana, your original question did seem to be asking about vaccinating a pregnant bitch, and that is why my first reply was such

Sharon Moreno
Wyoming, USA

Edited by - chaparra72 on 10/13/2007 8:38:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

huskyhike

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2007 :  9:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit huskyhike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny, but we were just at our vet's office this morning....we see more of him than our own family....and we got discussing the whole vaccination protocol again. Quite the hot topic amongst his colleagues, swelling with enough "gray area" to pull them into seminars they would rather not attend (I'm assuming)!

Seems that he agrees with the schedule that Swanny & Seavey prefer. To a degree, that is. As long as the dog in question has had the original inoculations from puppy hood and they have been kept up with boosters for the first 2 years, he feels safe in approving re-vaccination in 2-3 years. Of course he recommends annual vaccinations for breeding stock AND older dogs.

Mind you, he did mention that he believes that there is no scientific proof that annual booster vaccinations cause any harm (ie. SARs)....or at least that the incidents of SARs cannot totally be ruled out as being caused by coincidental infection with field viruses.

He also told us that when doing titers on a Shepard cross, he found that it's Rabies immunity levels were not what it should have been considering the vaccination schedule. Hmmmm. The only parvo he has seen this year was a puppy who had not had his booster inoculations finished. That makes sense!

I guess what it all boils down to is....whatever one feels comfortable with given the info at hand. Considering that conundrum....does anyone really know???

Dana
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2007 :  6:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had the puppies in for their second round of innoculations, and the vet included prevention for Leptospirosis. (Then suggested I pick up some Benedryl just in case any of them had a bad reaction.) Her reason for giving Lepto. was that she had not seen it in a long time, and didn't want to; and that now that some vets were backing off on the parvo, there was startng to be an increase there.

So where do YOU all stand on the Lepto? Seen any around?

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
KA8UVQ; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  3:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This has been something I've been discussing with my vet as well. I used to just go with the 7-way vaccine. Last year we sat down to go over the vaccination schedule,worming etc and she really pushed for the Lepto vaccines. As your vet she hasn't seen it lately but there seems to be some thought that it could come up again. We did go ahead and take that step and vaccinate everyone. Last year we did the first shot and boostered and this year went with a yearly re-boost.

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page

dog musher

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  9:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit dog musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We always just give our guys the 7 Way booster shots (according to the lable ours contain the Lepto), and then every 3 years we give our rabies. Although last year I took one of my dogs to the vet cause he needed his Rabie before I could go to an event (this was like 3 weeks before hand and I was just doing a final check on my vaccinations, it was a young dog), anyways, took him in, got the Rabies, had the lady at the front desk print out my proof, and on the way home I was reading over it, and it said that it was only good for 1 year!!! ARG!!! So then in April I have to go BACK to the vet with that same dog to get the Rabies done AGAIN, and this time make sure she gets me 3 years, like the rest of them are done. The vet must have been new or they just recently changed their policies, because all of my other dogs are good for 3 years once they get them. Ah well. Looking at my records I have to take the whole crew in this year. Fun Fun.

Lacey
Go to Top of Page

Karal

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  06:43:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dog musher, I would call the vet and ask the receptionist about the rabies vac. They may have just written 1 year when they should have written 3 year.
The first time a dog receives a rabies vac it is good for 1 year. The dogs second vac is/should be a 3 year vac.

live laugh love

Edited by - Karal on 02/12/2008 06:45:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:20:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see this thread is a bit dated. How'd it all work out for you?
I wouldn't worry about it till she's had the pups and weaned them.

My vets always tell me there is carry over on the rabies in an adult dog who's had rabies shots yearly or three year, whatever. No rabies vaccine quits working on the 365th day or at least not in the design.

Around here they require pups to get their rabies at six months then a three year at one year old. Then they are good to go. There is much controversy about the necessity and wisdom of repeated innoculations. Probably the titer is the way to go for sure.
With pups though I'm a fanatic about puppy shots till they are a year and a half old. I never ever want to relive a parvo infestation. We were lucky that we only lost one pp. I know people who have had their kennels wiped out. Not Fun.
Go to Top of Page

huskyhike

Canada
165 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  1:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit huskyhike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We did titers on the bitch in question and her immunity levels were good. We feel, like Cliff, that puppies definitely need to go through the whole protocol, no question about that. Still not sure about the rest of the pack though...but after coming back from the races and witnessing the effects of some nasty 'bugs', we will continue to do annuals on our breeding stock and race team. I am just not convinced that vaccinations are the root of all evils.

Re: Lepto inoculation....I have heard that there can be significant reactions in Siberian Huskies. Corona anyone????

Dana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page